Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Creative Homefires: Elegant Monograms

Creative HomeFires is a series which highlights the value that creativity offers to family members of a deployed spouse/significant other.  We offer stories of the creative life and the beautiful benefits experienced during some of the most difficult seasons.

  This Feature is written by Heather Strickland,  
Here's her Story:

Girl's keepsake baby bib
        Shortly after graduating OIS my husband was stationed at the National Naval Medical Center in Maryland. Being married less than a year and never being away from home I was excited and a little anxious about our new adventure. We moved in August, and the day before Thanksgiving he found out he was being deployed to Afghanistan.  Well, you can imagine how I felt, newly married and already the Navy is taking my husband away, and I have no family or friends here.

Cosmetic Bag
        I found a job to pass the time, and it kept me busy while my husband was gone for 15 months.  But, I needed something else to keep my mind off what was going on on the other side of the world. One day I went to the store for some scrapbooking supplies to work on our wedding scrapbook.  Well, let’s just say I never made it.  I took a test drive on an embroidery machine and fell in love with it. Over the course of a year monogrammed pillows, handkerchiefs, and blankets filled care packages sent to him. Two of his favorite items that I made are an embroidered pillow with a key with the inscription “You hold the key to my heart”, and a log cabin quilt.  

Venice Lace Bridal Handkerchief
If you would like to submit a story for this series please contact us ("Contact" tab at the top of the blog) for consideration. 


No comments: