Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Creative Homefires: Crafts by Christina

Creative HomeFires is a series which highlights the value that creativity offers to family members of a deployed spouse/significant other.  We offer stories of the creative life and the beautiful benefits experienced during some of the most difficult seasons.
Let me introduce
Christina Jacobson
of
Here's her story:

       In college I majored in Electronic Media, but little did I know that while most of the work I would do in this particular field would be on a volunteer basis.  I found a hobby which would turn into a money making venture while pregnant with my second child.  We had started cloth diapering our older son when he was six months old, and after PCS’ing to Ft. Campbell, we discovered that my husband would be deploying when I was 15 weeks pregnant with our second child.  
  
      I had started scoping out diapers for the new baby, as well as some for our older son, since we would have two in diapers when the baby was born.  Along the way, someone suggested that I make the diapers instead of buying them.  I was astonished and intrigued by the idea.  I did some research into what I would need, pulled out my sewing machine and began to check my local fabric store for supplies.  I discovered that my local fabric store had very little for what I would need, aside from fleece, terry cloth, and elastic.  So I began placing online orders for supplies.


       The time at the fabric store wasn’t wasted though.  I began looking at patterns, and buying fabric to make clothing for my older son.  I made him a winter coat, and some pants, and a shirt.  They all turned out rather nice, and I was very happy with my work.
 No one warned us how hard the beginning of a deployment can be financially.  So, in order to get some extra money, I decided to try selling some of my wares.  I was new to the on-line selling world and so it took a little learning, but I began selling handmade coats.  Along the way, I came across a bolt of ACU fabric, and bought some.  I’d been looking for it for some time, and was very excited to finally be able to buy some.

     After I had my younger son, I went to stay with my parents in California.  I bought the last of the ACU fabric I could find in the stores then, and made a dress with it.  Up until this time, I’d only made diapers for my older son with it.  In the on-line mall, called a Congo, one of the other store owners suggest that I make military apparel my specialty.  She was an Army wife as well, and while it seemed like an okay idea, I like creating all sorts of things, not just military themed items.


 About a month later, I got a request to make something in military fabric, then another request within the month.  I started to think that the other store owner was right, and began making more items with the camo fabric.  Before I knew it, Crafts by Christina became synonymous with military apparel, especially diapering items, for children.  I’ve now made numerous welcome home, R&R, and newborn coming home outfits, as well as sets just for fun.

   I’ve also expanded to key fob wristlets, bags, soft soled shoes, and headbands.  I’m always on the lookout for something new to make, but also love the custom orders that I get, and making special outfits to welcome home a parent, or welcome a new baby home.



Thank you so much Christina for sharing your story!  If you are interested in sharing your story with us, Contact us via the "Contact" Tab at the top of the blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome work Christina! If we have another baby I will definitely check out your shop for cloth diapers!