Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Creative Homefires: Katy Did Krafts

Creative HomeFires is a series which highlights the value that creativity offers to family members of a deployed spouse/significant other.  We offer stories of the creative life and the beautiful benefits experienced during some of the most difficult seasons.

Allow me to introduce Kimberly Jones of Katy Did Krafts
Here's her Story:
       I’ve been in the Air Force 13 years and I’m married to a service member. I find myself having to deal with my own deployments as well as my husband's.
      During a recent deployment to Iraq I took along some yarn to pass the time. When I had time off I would go to the Green Bean (coffee shop), get a cup of coffee and sit outside and crochet. It helped make me less homesick. When I’m home alone and my husband is away I like to curl up on the couch and crochet to help myself get through the long days without him.

            I am a very creative person by nature and I enjoy sewing and crocheting. As you all know deployments can be very stressful. I use my creative hobbies to help with all the stressful times. I find them to be excellent distractions from everyday life. They help me clear my mind and refresh my thoughts.

Thankfully everyone is home and safe right now so we can relax and enjoy until the next time.
Thanks Kimberly for sharing your story! If you would like to submit to this space, please contact us via the CONTACT tab at the top of the blog.

Robin Norgren, Blog Coordinator

1 comment:

Guinivere Norrington said...

What a great post! I love the pics of your "studio" too, reminds me of my own. Thanks for sharing :)