Friday, March 18, 2011

Story behind The (Shop) Name: 5280 Yarns


Welcome Winnie of 5280 Yarns

Here is the story behind her shop name:

    During my first deployment to Iraq, I was inspired to take up crocheting as a hobby by several of my friends and fellow soldiers who had learned to knit. For us, it became a relaxing activity to help wind down from the stresses of non-stop operations that working in a combat zone entails. Whether I was alone in my room, or hanging out with the other girls, crocheting was something I always had to keep myself busy and avoid dwelling on the fact that we were far from home. 

         Upon my return to the United States, I put crocheting on hold, but as another deployment loomed ahead, I was delighted to find a set of knitting needles in a care package my good friend sent. My passion for yarn was re-ignited, as I spent many hours reading knitting instruction books and looking at patterns. I decided to open my Etsy shop, 5280yarns, because I love knitting and crocheting, and wanted to share it with others. It also motivates and challenges me to start a new project or put my own twist on a pattern that I have found. 


         The name of my shop comes from the fact that I was stationed in Colorado, which is famous for Denver's elevation of 5280 feet. Although I am originally from another state, I fell in love with the beautiful mountains of Colorado and am proud to be living and creating here, so I wanted to incorporate Colorado into my shop's name.


Thank you Winnie for sharing your story! If you are interested in being featured, please contact us via the Contact tab at the top of the blog.

No comments: