Friday, April 8, 2011

Story Behind the (Shop) Name: Reyna Red

 

Here's the story behind her shop name: 
    About 5 years ago, while I was working on a new collection for Wind Dancer, I kept designing things that didn't fit in with the collection.  Instead of regalia inspired, I was all about faceted stones, pearls, and precious metals.  I decided to create a new Luxe Collection under a new moniker.

    The name Reyna Red is actually a play on two of my nicknames from childhood.  Reyna, which means queen, of royal blood, etc - is a play on words for the nickname that haunted me from 1st grade on: Princess Leah.  Oh yes, I was born the same year that Star Wars came out, and my first name is Leah.  But the icing on the cake, the nail in my nickname coffin came from my mother, who decided to send me to school one day with the dreaded...(gasp)..."donut braids!"  Why didn't she just hang a sign?  The nickname stuck all the way through high school, and cropped up again when the prequels came out.

   And Red - well not much of a story there.  My hair is red, so people I knew called me Red.  It wasn't the most inventive nickname, but with a name like "Leah" which is only 2 syllables and 4 letters long...you can't really shorten it into anything.

  So that's my story - it's funny, Reyna Red has become another nickname.  People just assume that is my actual name.  And I answer to it now.  LOL  My company name is my homage to my childhood name trauma - essentially showing to the world (in a covert way) that I have a sense of humor about the whole thing. 

:-) Leah    

Thank you Leah for sharing your story! If you are interested in submitting to this feature, please contact us via the CONTACT tab at the top of the blog. 

No comments: