Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Creative Homefires: Heartfelt Creativity

Creative HomeFires is a series which highlights the value that creativity offers to family members of a deployed spouse/significant other.  We offer stories of the creative life and the beautiful benefits experienced during some of the most difficult seasons.
Let me introduce
Tammy Thornton
of
Here's her story:
Hi, my name is Tamara (though I go by Tammy) and I’m a proud member of the etsy homefront team. My husband is active duty in the Air Force and currently in training in another state to get ready for a deployment. And I’m a jewelry designer who sells her wares on etsy.com. I was asked to write up a blog feature on the subject of “Creative home fires”, so here goes!

I find making jewelry and all my other creative endeavors, helps me while he’s TDY, deployed and basically whenever he’s gone. If not for my jewelry (and other projects) and my 2 dogs, I would probably be a lot more of a wreck while he’s gone. I often get consumed by whatever creative projects I’ve taken up at the moment, which is great for diverting my attention from missing him.


I highly recommend taking up some sort of hobby if you’re the spouse of a deployed military member. Especially if you don’t have kids like me. It doesn’t have to be making jewelry or crocheting or painting. It can be whatever you are interested in. Go for it! Find something that makes you happy! 


And you can find me on twitter or facebook at http://twitter.com/heartfeltme or http://www.facebook.com/heartfeltcreativity
Thank you Tammy for sharing your story! If you are interested in being featured in this space, please contact us via the Contact tab at the top of the blog 

3 comments:

Homefront Artistry Team said...

Thanks Tamara for sharing your story! Continued luck with your shop!
RObin

Leslie said...

Great post! :) My projects, crafts, and hobbies seem to provide such wonderful distractions for me too while my husband is gone. It's nice to have something to be able to pour myself into.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! It's always hard when a family member is deployed. Crafting and prayer is what has helped me when my sons where deployed. Keep on keeping on!