Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Tutorial: Hummus

 This Hummus recipe, AKA Adult Baby Food

is submitted by 

Meghan of Made by Meg

While recuperating from my wisdom teeth extraction, I was starting to get tired of eating apple sauce, yogurt and canned pears. So my mom and I made hummus! It's really easy and tastes way better than the store bought stuff. I've made it before, but it always came out a little chunkier than I would have liked. Then Alton Brown solved my problem. I caught an episode of Good Eats on how to use chickpeas and learned the science behind hummus (hint: it's an emulsion thing).

First you need a can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans. Toss these in the food processor and get them nicely broken up. Then you'll add your spices. I like to use garlic (but didn't have any, hence the garlic powder), salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, a splash of lemon juice and a dash of hot sauce. This is all to taste, and I've also done it with roasted red peppers. Anything you want to add to it will be added now. Give it a few pulses in the food processor to mix it all together before adding oil.
 
Now comes the emulsion. You want to run the food processor while you're adding oil to make the emulsion. Once it becomes a beautiful, creamy paste consistency, grill up some pita bread, chop up some veggies and enjoy!
 

Thank you Meghan for sharing this recipe.  If you are interested in being featured in this space, please contact us via the Contact tab at the top of the page.
 

2 comments:

Homefront Artistry Team said...

mmmm, thanks for sharing!
Robin, (CreationsAnew)

Guinivere Norrington said...

That sounds so yummy - I will definitely try your recipe!

BTW, I ♥ Alton Brown - he has been my hero in the kitchen many of times (and I'm a CHEF! haha)!