Friday, February 11, 2011

Creative HomeFires: Quite Crafty

Creative HomeFires is a series which highlights the value that creativity offers to family members of a deployed spouse/significant other.  We offer stories of the creative life and the beautiful benefits experienced during some of the most difficult seasons. 
 
  This Feature is written by Shanna Gassie, shop owner of Quite Crafty

Pink Newsboy hat
        Being married to your best friend is awesome!  But when your best friend is in the Air Force and he is deployed, well that’s just a bummer, as we all know.  Thankfully I have Etsy and my crocheting business.  My husband, Gabe, and I have been able to stay connected through Skype, and we talk about my “Quitecrafty” business frequently.  It is a wonderful feeling to model a new hat, or hold up a scarf design in front of that tiny webcam.  Gabe supports me as much as I support him, and he reminds me that my job brings a lot of joy.  What woman doesn’t love a new accessory?
Patriotic Towel Bears
      This deployment Gabe asked me to make him a hat for him.  Words cannot describe how happy that made me!  When I have a bad day, or I’m feeling lonely, I just think about him wearing that hat, and it makes me smile.  I volunteered to make hats for anyone in the squadron, as my tiny way to make a difference over there.  Now I’m looking forward to the day where I can see him wearing that hat in person!  Crocheting has been my outlet through the deployment, and I am so grateful for all the custom orders, love and support that the Etsy community has shown me during this time.  
Grey Slouchy Hat- my most popular item
 
SHOP   
Crocheted Gifts including hats, scarves, kitchen towels



Thanks Shanna! If you would like to submit a story for this series please contact us ("Contact" tab at the top of the blog) for consideration.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Shanna's crocheted items are awesome! What a great idea to crochet a hat for her husband to wear while he is away :)