Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Creative Homefires: Camelot's Treasures

Creative HomeFires is a series which highlights the value that creativity offers to family members of a deployed spouse/significant other.  We offer stories of the creative life and the beautiful benefits experienced during some of the most difficult seasons.
Let me introduce
Here's her story:

 It’s important to keep busy while your husband is deployed, it helps time pass and keeps you grounded.  But it’s also important for you to remember that you are separate from your family, and that you can have a life all on your own.  For awhile, I found myself in a position where I was just “mom” and no longer “Guin.”  I missed “Guin.”  That was one of the major reasons I started my business, and am grateful that I decided to do that as I watch it slowly bloom.

My business definitely is an asset when dealing with the crazy lifestyle the military involves us in, with long distance moves and short notice deployments.  But it’s mostly a benefit to my sanity, knowing that this is a representation of myself apart from my family.  Having been a military wife for a combined 10 years, I am definitely self-sufficient and independent as most military spouses are; we learn early on how to get things done.  I feel though, a lot of times we forget that we need to be ourselves also, not just a provider and caretaker.


 
So, sometimes I’m selfish, and go hide out in my office for a little bit, whether my husband is home or not.  I close the door, turn up my iPod, and just create.  Because creating is bliss.
 

Thank you Guin! If you are interested in contributing to the blog, please contact us via the Contact tab at the top of the blog.



No comments: