Thursday, January 12, 2012

Good Reads Review - A Game of Thrones


A Game of Thrones
George R. R. Martin

Last spring I found myself at a store rushing down the book section. I needed a book for a trip to the beach. Nothing looked good but there was no way I was getting on a plane and spending 4 days at the beach without something to read. I couldn’t have picked a better read.

The book was A Game of Thrones  and is the first book in the fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire, by author George R. R. Martin. At the time I had no idea it has become a series on HBO or that it had won several awards and more importantly that I would be instantly hooked.

I really was hooked from the very first page. I found the characters engaging, the story moved easily and the writing was wonderful. It’s so rare a book has it all and this one does.

A Game of Thrones  begins with the Lord Stark and his family who are about to be swept into turmoil and change they never expected. The family will face the trials of  court, betrayal, attempted murder, separation, death and war. A father looses his head and a son is named a king. Daughters are lost and a mother grieves. An imperfect son plays the game of kings and dragons come a live.

The story is told from the perspective of several characters with each chapter from another view. I thought this would be awkward and jerky but it reads smoothly and doesn’t leave you lost.

I’m on the third in the series and have the fourth on the night stand. This is an epic fantasy you don’t want to miss.

Make a little time to read every day!

This week's book review was submitted by:


No comments: