Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Story Behind the (Shop) Name: OkiRoo




Here's the story behind her (shop) name:

      Being a military spouse lends itself to a life of adventure, if you let it.  For me, our adventure began together in Okinawa, Japan.  I married my Marine during my senior year of college, and moved to the small island in the Pacific to join him immediately upon graduation.  I was just so happy to finally be with my husband and that I was surprised to find myself quickly falling in love with Okinawa, an island rich with friendly people, rich culture, beautiful coral, and yummy food.

     Fast forward 3 ½ years, and we started the next chapter in our adventure with a move to the states.  We decided to fly into Seattle and drive across the states to our next duty station in Florida.  A long drive, yes, but a great opportunity to see the country.  And, why not?  We were young, had no kids, and had the time to do it.  It sounds like a great idea, but once again, we were in for another surprise.  The day after we landed in Seattle, we learned that Baby Roo was on her way.  It was as if the morning sickness kicked in as soon as I saw the results on the stick.  Road trip across America with your husband: good idea.  Road trip across America with your husband while you have full blown morning sickness: bad idea.


But, I’m a tough Marine wife (ha!), and four weeks later we arrived in sunny Florida with white sand beaches.  Hubby’s mission: find a house, find a dog.  We put an offer on a house three days after our arrival.  A month later we moved into our new home.  Within a week, we brought home our new best friend and adorable black lab, Oki (She makes her appearance on my shop banner).
Our Baby Roo arrived the following spring, and from the time I knew I was pregnant, I also knew that I would be taking time off of teaching to spend time raising my daughter.  After she was born, I started making some cute stuff for her, bibs, burp cloths, bows.  I think you can see where this is going.  


With some encouragement from my hubby and a challenge from a Bible study group, I decided to start up OkiRoo, named after our beloved island, dog, and daughter.  Since opening, I’ve expanded from bows and bibs to some cute dresses and adorable t-shirts.  I’m loving the opportunity to create such cute baby things, but more than that, I’m loving our new adventure, life with our Baby Roo.

Thank you Alicia for sharing your story! If you are interested in being featured in this space, please use the Contact tab at the top of the page to reach the blog coordinator.


No comments: